Guy Fawkes Night is a terrifying night for your pets, and this is why. If you live outside of Great Britain, you may not know about this annual tradition. Guy Fawkes Night is a commemoration observed on the 5th of November.
The people were thankful King James I, survived the failed plot. They celebrated by lighting bonfires around London. Months later the Observance of 5th November Act became an annual public day of thanks.
The Fifth of November
The fifth of November,
The Gunpowder treason and plot;
I know of no reason
Why the Gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot!
Guy Fawkes and his companions
Did the scheme contrive,
To blow the King and Parliament
All up alive.
Threescore barrels, laid below,
To prove old England’s overthrow.
But, by God’s providence, him they catch,
With a dark lantern, lighting a match!
A stick and a stake
For King James’s sake!
If you won’t give me one,
I’ll take two,
The better for me,
And the worse for you.
A rope, a rope, to hang the Pope,
A penn’orth of cheese to choke him,
A pint of beer to wash it down,
And a jolly good fire to burn him.
Holloa, boys! holloa, boys! make the bells ring!
Holloa, boys! holloa boys! God save the King!
Hip, hip, hooor-r-r-ray!
It’s easy to see why this celebration would be a nightmare for your pets. Dogs and cats have sensitive hearing. Loud explosions are enough to spook the living daylights out of them. You want your pets, to get through this celebration in a safe calm way. I’ve put together some tips that should ease them.
- Prepare a comfortable safe little den for your pets.
- Give them toys or meaty bones.
- Turn on the television or radio to drown out the fireworks.
- Close blinds and curtains.
- Bring your rabbits and guinea pigs inside. Add extra bedding in their cages and hutches to deaden the sound of fireworks.
- Ensure your pet is wearing its collar and tag.
- Close cat flaps and doggy doors.
- Try a Thunder Jacket.
- Give your pets CBD Oil to help calm them. Always check with your vet first.
- . Stay home with your pets and watch the celebrations on television.
I hope these tips help your pets have a less stressful Guy Fawkes night. Let me know if they work for you.
Disclosure: The Rock n Roll Dog is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. We only recommend products we trust.